Author Topic: Just Yelled at My Mom  (Read 582 times)

Offline Nam

• Son of a Motherless Goat
  • Administrator
  • Professor
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
Just Yelled at My Mom
« on: March 01, 2017, 12:46:47 AM »
We're talking about something, it got to a particular subject and I tell her about this poem I wrote back in 2010 called "wood burn". To this day it's my most popular poem. And I'm reading this serious poem to her and I tell her before I read it it doesn't have profanity but it does have some vulgarity. I hated writing the poem, I wrote it for a reason at the time, most people link it to Trayvon Martin or anything dealing with Ferguson or Black Lives Matter (though I wrote it well before any of those things) and I use word "nigger" two or three times in the poem and every time I said the word she interupt saying, "Why do you have to use that word?" And I yelled at her saying, "If you would just shut the hell up and listen to it to the end--you know it was difficult for me to write it, and it's difficult for me to say it out loud but you can't just listen, can you?!?!" (paraphrasing) it's probably in the top five of the best works I've ever done in my life and she just wouldn't listen to what I was reading. I swear white people just don't get it. Those, who are white, who've commented on it over the years think I'm black, or don't understand that it's a son talking to his father about not pretending or actually being racist anymore. It's a poem written for white people! and they're the ones who don't seem to get it! They are either fixated on the word "nigger" or they think the poem only has black people in it.

I'll apologise but I don't want to.

-Nam
"Presumptions are the bitch of all assumptions." -- Nam

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Laureate
Re: Just Yelled at My Mom
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 02:37:09 PM »
Nigger is a very provocative word.  I flinch when I hear it used.  I don't know why.  I don't like to hear it from blacks or whites.  I don't like nigga either. 

Offline natlegend

• Librarian
  • Polyatheist
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 11:52:15 PM »
Oooohhh I had a bad moment with my mum yesterday. She says 'teh gays' should be able to marry, but that they can't use the word 'marriage'. I pointed out that there's plenty of kids in same-sex families that'll be left wondering if they're normal, as their parents can't get 'married'. She came back with the whole 'unable to procreate' thing and I had to end it there. We'd both been drinking, and I was about to storm off and leave my mum stranded.

I expected more from her.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

"Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say YES!" - Winston Zeddmore

Offline mr. blackwell

• A slightly lesser known evil
  • Global Moderator
  • Scholar
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2017, 09:06:21 PM »
White people are never ever supposed to use that word for any reason.

ever

In any context

period

end of story

If we need to refer to the "N" word, we are supposed to actually say...or write..."the "N" word"

or something that rhythms with digger.

So, it would be like if you were writing a short story about a wigger who grew up in the inner city ghettos the character's dialogue would need to be written like this if he were talking to one of his African American friends.

"Yo! What up my "N" word?"

That way, it's less offensive.
A hundred thousand voices have narrated my life.

Offline natlegend

• Librarian
  • Polyatheist
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2017, 09:26:07 PM »

A couple of Gs, an R and an E, an I and an N... Only a ginger can call another ginger, ginger.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

"Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say YES!" - Winston Zeddmore

Offline none

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2017, 02:24:55 AM »
White people are never ever supposed to use that word for any reason.

ever

In any context

period

end of story

If we need to refer to the "N" word, we are supposed to actually say...or write..."the "N" word"

or something that rhythms with digger.

So, it would be like if you were writing a short story about a wigger who grew up in the inner city ghettos the character's dialogue would need to be written like this if he were talking to one of his African American friends.

"Yo! What up my "N" word?"

That way, it's less offensive.
Not bad nigger, folks can use any word they want as long as they take responsibility and accept the consequences of using that word

Offline none

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2017, 06:42:32 PM »
Strangely I have remorse for speaking up to you mr Blackwell

Offline none

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2017, 04:10:51 AM »
Maybe your convictions weren't sincere
Maybe I read you wrong