Author Topic: No prayers  (Read 581 times)

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Laureate
No prayers
« on: April 21, 2017, 03:25:48 PM »
A Chinese foreign exchange student from my son's school has gone missing.  He left school in tears in the middle of the day yesterday.  He was caught cheating and on top of that he has been having family problems of some kind.  He never showed up at his host family's home as of yet.  They have the police involved.  He is a wealthy kid in expensive clothes, probably carrying a lot of cash and a credit card in a not so safe little city.    I suppose the faculty of this Christian school are all praying for his protection and safe return.  If something bad happens to him will that be God's will? I know there is no woo that will send out good vibes to him.  I just hope he is holed up in a motel or something and that he hasn't met with any harm. 

Offline Nam

• Son of a Motherless Goat
  • Administrator
  • Professor
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
Re: No prayers
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2017, 01:19:31 AM »
In China he'd go to prison for it. Up fo 7 years in prison for cheating on exams and/or entrance exams. Apparently it's an epidemic in China, and those who come to the US from China for college. It's ingrained in children in China that it's a must to get into a good school (college) when they grow up; no matter their intelligence or skill set. As if they don't, they're dishonoring their family and are worthless.

-Nam
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 01:20:05 AM by Nam »
"Presumptions are the bitch of all assumptions." -- Nam

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Laureate
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2017, 12:51:55 PM »
He turned up yesterday.  He is in the hospital.  I don't know much more.

Offline magicmiles

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2017, 11:43:19 PM »
He turned up yesterday.  He is in the hospital.  I don't know much more.

Chinese, you say? Can United Airlines security staff account for their actions during the period he was missing?

Offline nick

• Laureate
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2017, 06:26:38 PM »
Asian countries put so much pressure on their kids to succeed.  In many cases it is the difference for the family living well or not.  Pressure at that age is hard.  Hell, it is hard at any age.
Tide goes in, tide goes out.

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Laureate
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2017, 04:44:22 PM »
My son gives me the impression that most of the Chinese exchange students at his school are entitled brats.  One of them got in trouble for taking off to Florida for a week and partying.  He got busted because he posted pictures on social media.  They don't integrate at all, barely learn English and cheat on their classwork and tests but rarely get caught.

Offline Nam

• Son of a Motherless Goat
  • Administrator
  • Professor
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2017, 01:10:29 AM »
My son gives me the impression that most of the Chinese exchange students at his school are entitled brats.  One of them got in trouble for taking off to Florida for a week and partying.  He got busted because he posted pictures on social media.  They don't integrate at all, barely learn English and cheat on their classwork and tests but rarely get caught.

Don't know why anyone would send their kids to school in the US seeing how the US charges so freakin' much. Even the cheapest state colleges are too much. For UK citizens I think it's like $12,000 (USD) and for foreigners $20,000-$30,000. Still cheaper than the US. Even community college, which gives you only an associate's degree, cost on average $15,000-$20,000 annually. I mean if you balance it out, still cheaper to go outside the US. The top 20 most expensive schools in the world: all in the US.

-Nam
"Presumptions are the bitch of all assumptions." -- Nam

Offline nick

• Laureate
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2017, 07:12:17 PM »
And college costs will be going up with government cutting back on support and assistance.
Tide goes in, tide goes out.

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Laureate
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2017, 01:00:26 PM »
The kid is back in school now.  My son doesn't know what the story is as to why he disappeared or why he was in the hospital.