Author Topic: Rate the Last Film You Saw  (Read 5119 times)

Offline Emma286

• Laureate
Re: Rate the Last Film You Saw
« Reply #105 on: February 02, 2017, 10:28:41 AM »
I do seem to remember that, when I last watched Highlander 2 (think that might have been in 2015 sometime) it was pretty far fetched!

Offline Nam

• Son of a Motherless Goat
  • Administrator
  • Professor
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
« Reply #106 on: February 02, 2017, 10:10:52 PM »
Okay, i finished the last of the 20 just a few minutes ago. It probably will only list 17 since I already had seen two of them and one actually isn't even listed on imdb.com; I actually thought of listing it myself but it would take 2+ hours for me to go through the whole process and I'm on a phone and it would probably be rejected anyway since obviously I had no hand in the film and would only have the basic information on it to begin with. So why go through all the trouble?

Also, I thought it was 20 low budget horror films, it wasn't. It was ten horror and ten "action" (i quote action because there isn't much action in all but two of them) films.

I reviewed 14 of them, I think. One review is currently being processed but by the time I'm done listing them here, it should go through. Even most of my edits don't need approval probably because I am a top 1,000 voter or because I've an active member for the past 16 years and I edit on an almost daily basis.

If you want to read my reviews you can go to my page, they're listed near the midway half to bottom of the page: http://www.imdb.com/user/ur1345280/?ref_=nv_usr_prof_0 the pre-2012 reviews may not be in depth. I actually deleted 47 of them last year mainly from 2002-2011.

I have never written so many reviews as that in a three day period.

Hustlas (2002) -- 1/10 
Hustlas is a dark comedy about strife, loss and yes, even a buff midget. Take a wild ride with the crew of the L.A... (90 mins.)
Director: Gabriel Avina
Stars: Shang Forbes, Bern Martinez, Yelba Osorio, Mikal Carter

Hostile Takedown (2005 Video) -- 2/10 
9 years ago Alex, a former cop, lost his partner Dennis, when he was assassinated execution style to a vicious murderer... (100 mins.)
Director: Gil C. Carpenter
Stars: Keith Mayberry, Tommy Phipps, Keisha Rose, Devin Wesley

Hip-Hop Task Force (2005 Video) -- 2/10 
Chicago Detective Khalil Jones always took risks when being wired to bring down the bad guys. Now he's... (93 mins.)
Director: Corey Grant
Stars: James Jones, Michael Bell Sr., Brian Pratt, Kelly Gardner

Street Revenge (2008) --  2/10 
A local street gang finds a briefcase full of money in an abandoned building. The gang later finds out that the money that they have in their possession belongs to one of New York's biggest crime families.
Director: Conrad Glover
Stars: Elena Adames, Ed Avila, Rick Borgia, Raine Brown

Underground President (2007 Video) -- 3/10 
(93 mins.)
Director: Tim Warren
Stars: Jermaine Young Jones, Cory McFarlane, Stevie Staton, Shelah Marie

Kickin It High (2004 Video) -- 4/10 
Director: Juney Smith
Stars: Denny Jacobs, Randy Clark, Sean Cross, Isis Harris

Zombie Night (2003 Video) --  2/10 
(93 mins.)
Director: David J. Francis
Stars: Danny Ticknovich, Sandra Segovic, Dwayne Moniz, Steve Curtis

Demons at the Door (2004 Video) -- 2/10 
In a land plagued by war, the greatest battle humankind has ever known is about to be fought. In what is now the Middle East... (85 mins.)
Director: Roy Knyrim
Stars: Richard Benedetto, Leslie Brockett, Sean'e La'Dae, Bob Cicherillo

Fright Club (2006 Video) --  3/10 
A group of unsuspecting teens find their way to a "club", where the members don't make it out alive... (90 mins.)
Director: Antonio Olivas, Attika Torrence
Stars: Renee Reres Castle, Maryam Basir, Mark Bedell, Jeremy Bouvet

VooDoo Curse: The Giddeh (2006) --  4/10 
A group of college teens are plunged into a nightmare when they awaken an evil spirit. (79 mins.)
Director: Glenn Plummer
Stars: Glenn Plummer, Kira Madallo Sesay, Randy Brooks, Johann John Jean

The Revolting Dead (2003 Video) --  2/10 
An immortal Druid priest unleashes the powers of the damned on a family of grave-robbing morticians who disturbed his eternal slumber... (87 mins.)
Director: Michael Su
Stars: Shelley Delayne, Aaron Gaffey, Bokahra Robinson, Michael Falls

Recoil (2001) --  3/10 
A teenager given a homework assignment, gets more than he bargained for... (90 mins.)
Director: Wendell Hubbard
Stars: Theodore Borders, Terrance P.N. Smith, Wes Hubbard, Robert Berson

Dream Home (2006 Video) -- 1/10 
A young couple moves into a new house only to be plagued by a spirit haunting the place. (85 mins.)
Director: Amir Valinia
Stars: Corey Stills, Chantelle Winchester, Mia X, Chris Fry

The Clique (2006) -- 4/10 
A group of high school students, JUSTINE, DANIELLA, BETH, NATALIE, JAMES, MATT, PETER and JOHN decide to spend a weekend at an empty home in the woods... (87 mins.)
Director: David Basulto
Stars: Nick Slatkin, Marisa Renee Odom, Chloe St. James, Johnny Yono

Kracker Jack'd (2003 Video) -- 1/10 
A whiteboy gets mudholed & plots revenge on the brothas at a house party in the Dirty South! (78 mins.)
Director: Chad Hendricks
Stars: Julius Golden, John W. Sloan, Vesher Yisrael, Bennie 'Novacane' Davis

Street Tales of Terror (2004) -- 3/10 
A homeless man who witnesses a murder is forced to entertain his tormentors with three tales of murder, revenge, and terror. (87 mins.)
Director: J.D. Hawkins, Frank Corey Shields
Stars: Corey Shields, Timothy Eric, Staci Harris, Loco
"Presumptions are the bitch of all assumptions." -- Nam

Offline Nam

• Administrator
  • Professor
« Reply #107 on: February 10, 2017, 11:12:11 PM »
Instead of listing all the movies I've seen in the last 8 days, just going to list the ones I enjoyed more than others:

Les aventures extraordinaires d'Adèle Blanc-Sec (2010) -- 8/10

I bought this on Blu-ray about two weeks ago and just got around to watching it tonight. It was directed by Luc Besson (Leon, The Fifth Element) and it's a comedy/adventure about a woman adventurer trying to cure her sister. I enjoyed it.

Student Bodies (1981) -- 8/10

A spoof on mainly 70s horror. I thought it was hilarious especially when they told the MPAA to go fuck themselves. That's always good. It's obvious humor done in a subtle way, I felt.

What We Did on Our Holiday (2014) -- 8/10

I thought it was hilarious. More a dramedy, though.

The Children of Huang Shi (2008) -- 8/10

Even though a main real life person was cut out entirely, and of course borders on a lot of fiction because of it, I found it still to be a pretty good film.

Places in the Heart (1984) -- 8/10

Good early Sally Field, Ed Harris, and Danny Glover film about a widowed woman trying to keep her farm.

The Sea Inside (2004) -- 8/10

Javier Bardem was excellent in this film.

The Scarf (1951) -- 8/10

Philosophical film noir. Quite enjoyed it.

The Crowd (1928) -- 8/10

I'm not the type who typically enjoys silent films but I enjoyed this one.

La battaglia di Algeri (1966) -- 10/10

Excellent film on Algiers fight for independence.

Nuovo Cinema Paradiso (1988) -- 9/10

Great film.

Au Revoir Les Enfants (1987) -- 9/10

Another great film.

Blues in the Night (1941) -- 8/10

Quite enjoyed this one.

-Nam

Offline Emma286

• Laureate
« Reply #108 on: February 11, 2017, 07:23:54 AM »
Okay, i finished the last of the 20 just a few minutes ago. It probably will only list 17 since I already had seen two of them and one actually isn't even listed on imdb.com; I actually thought of listing it myself but it would take 2+ hours for me to go through the whole process and I'm on a phone and it would probably be rejected anyway since obviously I had no hand in the film and would only have the basic information on it to begin with. So why go through all the trouble?

Also, I thought it was 20 low budget horror films, it wasn't. It was ten horror and ten "action" (i quote action because there isn't much action in all but two of them) films.

Np.

I reviewed 14 of them, I think. One review is currently being processed but by the time I'm done listing them here, it should go through. Even most of my edits don't need approval probably because I am a top 1,000 voter or because I've an active member for the past 16 years and I edit on an almost daily basis.

If you want to read my reviews you can go to my page, they're listed near the midway half to bottom of the page: http://www.imdb.com/user/ur1345280/?ref_=nv_usr_prof_0 the pre-2012 reviews may not be in depth. I actually deleted 47 of them last year mainly from 2002-2011.

I have never written so many reviews as that in a three day period.

Thanks for the reviews link. Will read them when I next can.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 07:26:37 AM by Emma286 »

Offline Emma286

• Laureate
« Reply #109 on: February 11, 2017, 08:29:13 AM »
Last film that I watched properly was:

The Girl on the Train (2016)

A mystery drama movie about an alcoholic woman with a troubled past, Rachel, who spends much of her time in the day travelling around by train and has fallen into the habit of strongly fixating on a a couple, who she perceives to be perfectly happy, whose house she passes by daily. However, one day, during her journey she see's something completely unexpected as the train goes by. She discovers very soon after that the wife of the couple has gone missing. She soon finds herself involved in the investigation the police carry out. Worryingly, Rachel has recently been having black outs/missing time due to the nature of her drinking problem. Due to this, and a further event that happens between the time of her witnessing what she did from the train (the night before the wife went missing) she has to question whether or not she might have somehow been involved - as do the police...

Starring Emily Blunt, Haley Bennett, Rebecca Ferguson and Justin Theroux.

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt3631112/

Have noticed this hasn't been reviewed that highly on the IMDb. My boyfriend also didn't like this one much (we both watched it on the way to JFK last Saturday during our plane journey). However, I personally thought it was pretty good. I really liked the way the mood/suspense was built up and how the story drew me in. After some time I figured I probably had the ending figured out - only to find my expectation to be totally wrong!

Rating this 7/10.

Since this one I did try to watch "Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children" (during my flight back to Heathrow Thursday morning but (at the time) was too tired to concentrate well on it - plus I didn't feel as into it (after I started watching it) as I expected to (for some reason :-\) anyway.

I also did watch quite a bit of "Bridget Jones's Baby" after that - but didn't have time to watch it till the end. Going by what I did see, I did find it pretty funny/entertaining but still didn't like it as much as the earlier 2 films. It did seem kind of predictable, though I definitely plan to watch it all the way through at some stage.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 08:44:25 AM by Emma286 »

Offline Nam

• Administrator
  • Professor
« Reply #110 on: February 15, 2017, 06:02:32 PM »
I just bought a collection of movies I never thought I'd buy: a 3-film Chuck Norris collection. I am not a Chuck Norris fan. I've only seen 11 of his 37 films. Out of those 11 ratings, I rated only 4 above a 5/10 and only one a 7/10 (no higher rating). He's a good martial artist, he s a bad actor but the two movies I actually enjoyed of his is in this collection: "Delta Force" and "Missing in Action", haven't seen the other "Invasion USA" but the title tells me it's probably a bad rip off of "Red Dawn".

I now have Chuck Norris films in my collection. (shivers).

-Nam

Offline natlegend

• Librarian
  • Polyatheist
« Reply #111 on: February 15, 2017, 08:46:41 PM »
Just watched John Wick (2014), with Keanu Reeves. He plays a hitman who comes out of retirement to seek revenge on the Russian Mafia for killing his dog. Some really excellent fight scenes. As usual, Keanu is morbid and moping throughout. He's fairly type-cast these days. It was a good action-y type of movie, something I could turn off my brain and watch.

Last film that I watched properly was:

The Girl on the Train (2016)

Saw that the other day too. Emily Blunt is great, but I found the film to be almost too disjointed for me to follow it. Overall I didn't enjoy that movie.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

"Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say YES!" - Winston Zeddmore

Offline Nam

• Administrator
  • Professor
« Reply #112 on: July 08, 2017, 05:02:59 PM »
I'm still watching teh movies. Mainly been watching/rating Scrubs since I became ill. Anyway...here are some films I've seen since I lasted posted here:

Elle (2016) -- 9/10

Just finished watching this. I enjoyed it. Seemed Film Noir-Black Comedy-Thrilleresque. Haven't watched Paul Verhoeven in years. Generally a fan, though. This is pretty in your face from the start. I mean, it opens up with a woman being raped midway through, and goes back to it varying throughout the film based on the victim's either imagination of the rape, or remembrance of it. She's part owner of a video game company that is apparently working on a rape scene (extremely violent detailed one) of some demon alien creature raping a human woman.  The victim, played by Isabelle Huppert, seems to everyone around her (and those watching the film) as if it was no big deal and she carries on with her life but she comes off as an Alpha female. She's not weak and the man who raped her briefly made her feel that way so she doesn't report it because she wants to take care of it herself, in her own way.

I quite enjoyed it.

Two Brothers (2004) -- 7/10

Eating Raoul (1982) -- 7/10

Moving (1988) -- 6/10

Richard Pryor film, and some funny scenes but basically average.

Lizzie (1957) -- 7/10

Surprisingly a good film based on subject matter (multiple personality), usually back then these types of stories were mainly in the B genre and over-the-top stupid. Eleanor Parker[1] did a really good job as the title character.

Weekend (1967) -- 7/10

If you have ever seen a David Lynch film, this is twice as weird and fucked up as any of his films. Sort of like Bonnie and Clyde tripping on acid. The beginning pulls you into a normal movie talking explicitly about sex and then the director drops some acid and takes you on a wild ride. I presume.

Withnail & I (1987) -- 7/10

Of Human Bondage (1946) -- 4/10

I gave the 1934 version 6/10 and the 1964 version 7/10. This is the worst of the three. Utterly boring. It literally put me to sleep.

A Trip to the Moon (1898) -- 7/10

Things people imagined about the moon 120 years ago.

Punk Vacation (1990) -- 2/10

Ugh.

Annie Oakley (1894) -- 6/10

The real Annie Oakley on film. Only a minute long but it's actually her.

Sallie Gardner at a Gallop (1878) -- 6/10

Very first film ever made. Only 10 seconds long but it was 1878.

-Nam
 1. she played the Baroness in The Sound of Music

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Laureate
« Reply #113 on: July 10, 2017, 02:08:56 PM »
I was watching Scrubs for awhile but then they moved it to an earlier time that I am usually not up yet.  On any medical show I tend to zero in on the things that would not really happen in a hospital.  Mainly things doctors do that nurses really do.

Offline jynnan tonnix

• Librarian
« Reply #114 on: July 29, 2017, 11:23:14 PM »
Not the last movie I've seen by any stretch of the imagination (I think I watched it once or maybe twice around 1999), but something I was reading earlier brought it to mind, and I remembered how confused it left me.

I suppose at the very least it's something Nam has seen, as he's seen pretty much every movie ever.

"Wild at Heart" with Nicolas Cage...I went through a bit  - well, actually more like an inexplicable but full blown obsession with Mr. Cage for a year or so back around 1998-1999 and watched everything that Blockbuster (my only source back then) carried. In retrospect, some of his movies were decent, some pitiful, some entertaining despite themselves, and there were at least a couple of what went on to become classics, but this one I never managed to work out. I almost completely hated it except that it had moments of brilliance, and also moments which should have been ridiculous, but somehow worked and stayed with me. Plus, and maybe this means I have less than zero musical taste, but I found Nic's Elvis impressions very passable, and actually responded to his tone more than I ever actually did to Elvis himself. I'd put that down to my being in the throes of a serious crush, but I just listened to those clips again a few minutes ago, and, surprisingly, since I've found NC to be a caricature of himself in at least the past 10-12 years, those clips of him singing still  kinda did it for me...

Just wondering whether anyone else has any thoughts of this one.

Offline Nam

• Administrator
  • Professor
« Reply #115 on: August 01, 2017, 01:43:22 AM »
I gave that film 6/10. Which means I found it average and most likely since I don't really remember too much of it, I only watched it the one time.

-Nam